by Jamillah Warner
Some plain talk about a simple business strategy that’s easy to understand but often misused.
Why I’m Publishing This Information
So business owners and managers can learn to communicate with your team in a way that increases retention as well as brand loyalty.
The first loyalist you need on your team are the people that work with you. How you talk to them plays a major role in shaping their level of commitment.
This ongoing conversation also impacts how your team talks to your public, promotes your brand and ultimately helps you build your business. Get this step wrong and you can break the company before you get out the door.
Your communication style matters. It always will.
1. Soft Skill. Effective Communication is the #1 soft skill that is a concrete necessity for long term success in business. You can be an all-star at what you do, but a failure at communication, and that lapse in skill can kill a dream.
2. Learned In College? Effective Communication is one of those crucial skills that you could go to college but never master without a plan. Taking speech classes, studying rhetoric and writing papers won’t teach you what you need to know in terms of real world communication.
3. The Core Issue. The problem with your public communication strategy can be triggered by a personal issue including but not limited to fear of public speaking, low self-esteem, low awareness of how others actually see you, an overly inflated sense of pride, and so on. Fortunately, if you choose to, then you can address and overcome all of these issues with the right kind of help.
How Does Effective Communication Impact Your Marketing?
4. Marketing Materials. Marketing is not about the flashy bits – your big sign, designer logo, custom video, gorgeous website, unique business card. Those things play a role, but only after you get the message right.
5. Website Marketing. Ignoring effective communication causes the average business owner to waste money and time. Let’s consider your brand website. Does it speak the language of your target audience? It doesn’t matter how good it looks, how much it cost (or how much you think you saved), if your website doesn’t carry the right message in the right style, then there’s a big problem.
6. Rambling Is Easy. The short and clear message often takes the most time and effort to write. Rambling is easy, but clarity takes effort. Saying more with less is the rule of the day. You have seconds, not minutes, to connect. Effective communication is how you make the most of that time.
How Does Effective Communication Impact Your Team?
7. Managing A Team. If you’re in business, you’re managing a dream. If that dream is going anywhere, at some point you’re managing a team. And how well you do this is directly related to your communication style.
8. Brand Relationship. Communication is the seed to relationship. And your first brand relationship is with the people who help you run your business. What you say to them (and model in front of them) will become a part of your brand as it’s reflected through their behavior with your target audience and current clients.
9. Be Yourself. Effective communication is your business. But you don’t have to clone the masters of communication (i.e. Dale Carnegie) to be successful. You can be yourself. However, you do have to master a few basic techniques for the greater good of your brand and the people you say you serve.
10. Core Marketing Message. Your team needs to know, understand and care about your core marketing message before your public does. You don’t want to be the brand that releases a major campaign and when people call in to your business your receptionist doesn’t even know what’s going on. Your message goes to your team first, and they’ll help you carry it to your public.
How Can You Use A Simple Skill To Drastically Improve Your Business?
Of course there’s more to developing an Effective Communication strategy. So I’ve created The Gritty Kit – Effective Communication Made Easy.
The kit shows you how to get started with improving your communication. Walks you through a simple process to get clear about your message. In essence, The Gritty Kit breaks down a skill that is the backbone to all long term successful marketing and management.
And you can get started for free. Click here.